906-293-8401 nbynews@jamadots.com

Introducing Pam Juarez – New coordinator at the LINK

By Sterling McGinn  In December 2022, the Luce County LINK named former interim coordinator Pam Juarez as the official coordinator of the Newberry staple known as the LINK. The organization, located across from Rahilly’s IGA on West Helen Street in Newberry, is the...

Adopt a cat and qualify for vet care voucher

By Donna Hamilton Members of Luce County Pet Pals are trying to help the local animal shelter address the challenge of caring for its cat population. The Shelter is over capacity in housing cats; staff are seeking good “forever” homes for their adult cats. To help...

An ode to canines

By Brian Freitag TASPL Director I have had multiple dogs in my life since I was almost coordinated enough to walk. Being owned by a dog is an incredibly rewarding experience for heart and soul. I recently adopted a Newfoundland dog from the Luce County Animal Shelter...

Doc Surrell is Newberry’s first Rock Star of the Month

By Carol Stiffler Dr. Jim Surrell, Newberry’s retired colorectal surgeon and resident harbinger of jokes, has been named the first Rock Star of the Month from radio station 96.7 Flash FM. The radio station announced the award on Tuesday. Surrell travels town on foot...

Thanks to our readers

To the Editor: As we come to the end of another year, I want to personally express my gratitude and appreciation to you – our readers, subscribers, and businesses that advertise in the Newberry News. Without your growing support, we would not be able to do the...

Newberry Fire Department donates to community

By Jason Tokar As has been tradition for the past several years, the Newberry Fire Department is busy again this holiday season spreading holiday cheer. Last week, members of the Fire Department spent time delivering gifts throughout the community. To start things...